Skip to main content

I Got the Job

By Dana Damiani ’21

Somewhat unpopular opinion: writing is so fun. It can be used to connect in new ways, a therapeutic release for some, and a way to learn without leaving the comfort of your bed for others.

Learning to write is hard. Now that’s something we can all agree with. Why are there so many forms to address certain topics? Reports, social media posts, professional emails, oh my! Why can’t we just write what we think and have it click for everyone?

That’s what was running through my mind the first time I was asked to write a blog for my new student job at Naz in 2020 with the College’s Social Media Team. After helping plan a virtual Changemaker event, and as a big fan of what I learned throughout the annual changemakers seminar, I sat with my notes wondering where to start. I had no idea how to incorporate a voice that shared my enthusiasm for the event — and looking back on it now, it shows.

My senior year, I finally had a chance to dive into my communication and media minor when I took a Digital Writing class with Noah Federici. It all almost just clicked. We looked at pictures from all over the world with no context and were asked what we thought was going on, what they meant, and why the pictures were taken. It was easy to say exactly what we saw and what it might have meant. There was our assignment. All of a sudden, writing was easy. I could use my own voice, address a situation as I found appropriate, and I could have fun with it!

My next blog post came easy. I never realized writing could be fun! Every time my next blog post was released, I’d send it to my grandma. My dad started asking me if I’d ever thought about using writing as a career. I thought to myself, “Maybe, but how could I incorporate my French and Spanish degrees into my writing too?” After graduating, I thought about starting my own brand — something I still think about pretty often. But thanks to Naz, I have a ton of other communication skills and experiences on my resume for the meantime. Between social media internships, blogs from multiple different companies, and my public relations knowledge with the Undergraduate Association (UA), I looked long and hard for a career that incorporated everything I loved from each learning opportunity I had come across.

Something I didn’t hear enough at Naz: Looking for the perfect job is exhausting. I was prepared for the extra hassle for every application from my Career and Internship Prep course with Kathy Tonkovich, but it seemed endless. Rewriting cover letter after cover letter, tweaking my resume per application, and finding job openings that intrigued me, for weeks at a time. It’s not a surprise I accepted the first offer I received, but little did I know what was to come. After a month at my first job, nothing was speaking to me — not the work, the people, nor the remote environment. It was frustrating after all the work to find a job, and I still hadn’t made all of my pieces click yet. Yet.

Just when I was getting in the groove of the dissatisfaction, I got a call from Spectrum News with an interview for a producer position. “Am I qualified to work for the news?” I thought to myself. I didn’t know! But my dad told me in a Facetime call that based on my excitement, the invitation was worth an interview. And FYI, Kathy always told me, “It’s always worth an interview. What do you have to lose?” Man, was she right.

The interview went well. Who knew the “head honcho” of Spectrum News also graduated with a degree in Spanish (and mass communications)! I was asked to do two writing assignments, which really showed me how much effort and organization goes into writing each script for a story. They were challenging! I was excited, but still questioning my chances of scoring such a gig. Two weeks later, BOOM! His name popped up on my phone screen again and I answered the call with optimism pouring through my teeth.

I got the job.

Two weeks into working at Spectrum, I still can’t contain my enthusiasm for this position and this company. Knowing I still have massive amounts to learn, everyone has taken me under their wing throughout my training process. My coworkers are so kind, and the job is so exciting! I have a badge with my Naz headshot on it and there’s even a football pool! Cue the *I’m a big girl now* commercial jingle. Thinking back on my childhood and dreading dinnertime with the news on in the background, I laugh. The news is so cool! What was I thinking?!

As a Class of 2021 grad, I am thrilled to have built my resume and education at Naz. Through the ups and downs, they always prove to be worth it. This opportunity is so fun and exciting! My foreign language background allows me to look at stories like the crisis in Afghanistan with a compassionate and cultural eye. All of my writing and interpersonal communication experiences have made my training easier, as I’ve become more comfortable with the writing process of my role. All the other responsibilities of my position will come with time and patience — as my career search certainly taught me. Overall, to say I’m thrilled to have my path lead me to where I am today is an understatement.

Comments